Wednesday 9 March 2016

Culinary Adventures: DoD Orange Chicken

In mid-January, I had a brief conversation with a pregnant friend whose family Lady Jaye and I will probably try to take a meal to once she delivers. They're pretty solidly progressive, so I was teasing her that we'd bring them some vegan concoction. She reminded me that:
"You realize the meal that it seems we will traditionally share is fish, right?"
This reminded me of my favorite fish recipe out of The Gitmo Cookbook, which got me thinking: one of my resolutions for 2016 should involve cooking. So, I've set the goal of cooking two new recipes each month. This one was actually the second.
Chicken in Orange Sauce
  • 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • nonstick cooking spray
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 med. onion, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 3/4 c. orange juice
  • 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
  • 2 T. flour
  • 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
  • 4 T. sugar

    Wash chicken thoroughly under cold running water. Drain well. Remove excess fat. Arrange chicken in a single layer on a large, sided cookie sheet that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray. DO NOT OVERLAP. Combine orange juice, flour, sugar, salt, paprika, pepper, rosemary, and garlic powder; mix well. Add onions; stir to blend. Pour over chicken. Bake at 400° F. for 22 to 24 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165° F.
  • So, how did it turn out? I actually really love this recipe. I think I've made it three times now, with a couple of variations. In lieu of cooking spray, I just wrap my cookie sheet in tinfoil and discard the foil when I'm finished. I cube the chicken breasts and dispense with the rosemary entirely. I've cooked this with four, three, and two tablespoons of sugar, and haven't really tasted a difference. Feel free to throw in another tablespoon of flour to thicken the sauce a bit. (The sauce will congeal anyway as it cools, but I prefer it a bit thicker.) I haven't tried this as a freezer meal, but it's tasty (I eat it over white basmati rice), easy, and pretty quick.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment