Saturday 1 March 2014

Recent Podcast Selections

I've found myself driving a lot lately, and that's allowed me to listen to a lot of podcasts that I wouldn't otherwise retain if I were doing more mentally-focused work.

Somewhat by accident, my year-ago studies of strategic nuclear doctrine have been bolstered by listening to a string of either new or saved podcasts on nuclear issues. I've listened to one podcast from last year (Beyond Compliance: Nonproliferation and the Private Sector) and two recent podcasts (PONI Live Debate: Triad Modernization and Military Strategy Forum: Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James on the Nuclear Enterprise) from the Center for Strategic and International Studies. I've also listened to, and thoroughly enjoyed, two podcasts from War on the Rocks: Nuclear Strategy and the Cold War, and Contemporary Nuclear Strategy. Last but not least on the nuclear theme, I enjoyed the second half of a recent King's College London Department of War Studies podcast in which the conversants discussed India's nuclear policy.

Continuing with War on the Rocks, I also enjoyed their podcasts on Cyberwar and Cybersecurity, and on Counter-Terrorism, Drones, Syria, & More. The War on the Rocks podcast is a great format, because it involves four people (who change up from one podcast to another) who sit around in a bar, drinking, and talking about strategic issues.

The BBC World Service did a documentary recently, which was entitled My War, My Playlist, and which discussed the music that British military personnel listen to while on deployment to Afghanistan.

A few years ago, I discovered the Feed the Pig Podcast, and I recently re-downloaded all of the episodes (partly to listen to, and partly to archive). I've been through about three of them in the last few weeks. They're a bit broad, but good information nonetheless.

One of my favorite podcasts is the Faroe Islands Podcast, and I've listened to two episodes recently: # 172 Hoyvik Church, and # 173 American in the Faroes. Sometimes, it's nice to listen to something that's just interesting, and not related to my work or education. In that same vein, I really love The History Chicks, and I've enjoyed three of their recent offerings, Queen Elizabeth I parts 1 and 2, and their minicast on Elizabethan Life.


Finally, I recently listened to a recent offering from the Heritage Foundation, Churchill’s First War: Young Winston at War with the Afghans, in which author Con Coughlin discusses his book of the same name. I'm tempted to get the book, but moreso, to read the book that inspired it: The Story of the Malakand Field Force by Churchill himself, which my buddy Todd (pictured, as Hawkeye - the only reason for that picture being attached to this post, in fact) recommended I do my MSc dissertation on. (We all know how that went.)

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment