Thursday 2 January 2014

Topic: Culinary Adventures

Not that it matters, but I feel as if I'm talking a lot about my time in Virginia. It's probably because of the various places where I lived the longest as an adult. Anyway, while I was in Virginia, I started trying to develop my cooking skills, with mixed results. Between my return to America from the Middle East, and my departure for Scotland, I did a bit more cooking, but not as much as I'd envisioned while I was overseas. In all honesty, I've had very little opportunity to cook over the last three years, and I'm actually looking forward to trying my hand at it again in the coming months.

I have a couple of cookbooks: A Man, A Can, A Plan by David Joachim, which was a gift from my former boss; and The Gitmo Cookbook, which is unfortunately no longer available. Joachim has apparently written a sequel entitled A Man, A Can, A Plan, A Second Helping, so I might try to get a hold of that. In case you're really curious about those recipes used at Gitmo, you can go to the website or table of contents of the Army's Joint Culinary Center of Excellence, or just download every American military recipe if you prefer. Of course, like anyone, I also get plenty of my recipes from the Internet.

So, one of the topics I'll discuss from time to time will be cooking. I'll post some of my favorite recipes (or ones that I intend to try), and talk about the various kitchen implements that I've used or intend to use. It should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment