Saturday 25 January 2014

Operation Open Range

I started formulating a bunch of deliberate plans for things I intended to accomplish with my life. In 2010, I executed my plans for Operation Carnivore, which involved equipping for and then deploying to the Middle East. In 2012, I executed Operation Cobalt, which involved returning home for a few months. Later in 2012, I executed Operation Highlander, which involved equipping for and going to graduate school in Scotland. Highlander's extension, Operation Bold Brigand, involved additional planning. With Highlander/Bold Brigand completed, it was time to plan the next phase of my life.

Operation Carnivore, and to a lesser degree Operation Cobalt, involved some rough plans because some of the details were up in the air. Given that the next few months of my life are currently a bit fluid, I've had to formulate some plans that utilize that fluidity, while still engaging in activities that will facilitate what I hope and intend to be doing in the near future. Hence, Operation Open Range: a plan for which both the name and goals hint at limitless possibilities. Here's what's on the agenda.

* * *

Arabic:

A big part of Highlander was making myself unemployment-proof. Although my current background and credentials ought to accomplish that for me, the current lousy job market and healthy doses of paranoia mean that I'm still pursuing additional credentials. The first element relates to my Arabic language skills.

I've already talked about Arabic before. My Arabic's not what it ought to be after having studied it for nearly eight years, but it's probably better than I give it credit for. For example, before I left Scotland, I sent the crew at Lionel's a post card written entirely in Arabic, and when I listen to BBC Xtra podcasts, I can usually decipher their topics of conversation and pick out one detail or another, and I'm getting better. What I'd like to do is to spend 2014 focusing on Arabic, and take the Defense Language Proficiency Test by the end of the year. Apparently the Defense Language Institute (DLI) has some guides, so I'll check those out in the next few days.

As far as listening exercises, I'll keep focusing on those BBC Xtra podcasts and hopefully add in some Radio Sultan of Oman live streaming. For reading and vocabulary, I'll be looking at my existing vocabulary list, as well as the DLI's Emirati and Libyan Language Survival Kits (LSKs). I've got my work cut out for me.

* * *

Certifications:

The second element of my continued pursuit of credentials is focused mainly on security credentials to shore up my existing risk management background.

I had originally intended to get my MSc in Strategic Studies, my Physical Security Professional certification, and my Postgraduate Diploma in Terrorism Studies. I got the living daylights out of my MSc in Strategic Studies - summa cum laude, baby! My advisor in Aberdeen dissuaded me from pursuing that Terrorism Studies credential, though I may consider it again if it's still available in a few years; but I really want that PSP certification to solidify my physical security chops. For that one, I'll be reading The Design and Evaluation of Physical Protection Systems by Mary Lynn Garcia, and ATTP 3-39.32 Physical Security from the U.S. Army.

As I've searched for jobs in my field, I've found that many of them require certifications compliant with DoD 8570.01-M, so in addition to those other efforts, I'm going to read CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide by Darril Gibson in order to study for the Security+ certification. I'd rather not have to get back into network security, which I used as a professional means to an end for several years, but I have to work both smart and hard. As with Arabic, I've got my work cut out for me.

Physical Training:


I've wanted to complete a modified version of the BUD/S Warning Order workout for several years now, but I have little to show for that ambition. Though I hope to be on my way within a few weeks, I really have no excuse for not having started pursuing this goal yet. The version I've come up with substitutes yomping (hiking in boots with a pack) for running, and continues the pre-BUD/S workout's emphasis on swimming.

Business Development:

Over the last few years, I've made intermittent progress in developing a number of tools and deliverables that can be put to use if I either get another job in security, or start my own security company. Basically, I'm trying to both plan for the establishment of a business, and create actual deliverables and/or tools that I can actually use or market. So, in addition to applying for jobs (lots, and lots, and lots of jobs) and continuing my professional development (lots, and lots, and lots of professional development), I'm trying to both plan, and establish what we former network security goons would call a "Plan of Action and Milestones" (or "POA&M") for making the various finished products. Just a few mornings ago while standing in the shower, I had an idea for some marketable Arabic language resources. That joins a long list of potential deliverables.

Writing Projects:

As those who have followed any of my blogs shall be well aware, I am a pathological writer. I'm currently working on what I plan to be my first book, a study of Orcadians who served with the Gordon Highlanders during the First World War; an expansion of my postgraduate dissertation on the Dhofar Rebellion; and an article about United States Central Command's General Order 1X. I have POA&Ms for each of these, as well, but they'll be enduring projects - particularly the first two.

Special Projects:

From week to week, there's stuff that comes up that doesn't fit neatly into any of these categories. So, on each week's list, there will be a section for special projects.

* * *

So, that's what I'm up to. That's Operation Open Range. I've scheduled it to run from January 2014 through the end of 2015, though I hope to finish many of those goals sooner than that and either advance them, or restart them on a continuous cycle. Time will tell, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment