Thursday 26 December 2013

Topic: Podcasts

One of my first orders of business upon moving to Virginia a few years ago was to start listening to podcasts. I upgraded my IT equipment and bought a Sansa Connect. For several reasons, I eventually replaced it with a 4GB Sony Walkman (the mp3 player, not the ancient audiocassette player), and later a 16GB Sony Walkman NWZE345BLK that's still my primary audio player.

I absolutely love podcasts. I've always loved listening to the radio, and although podcasts don't have the same sort of charm as actually tuning in a radio station, they have the advantage of being far less perishable, offering the same content on a much larger scale, and being more accessible to both listeners and potential broadcasters. For the most part, I use podcasts to keep up on current events, but I've also found all sorts of other great podcasts - both single time sensations, and exceptional serials - over the last few years. I've tended to listen to a lot of podcasts during many hours spent doing desk work over the last few years, and I got out of the regular listening habit while living in Scotland. I'm looking forward to getting back into that habit as I transition back into a more professional schedule over the next couple of months.

On any given work day, my playlist tends to feature selections from any of the following extremely diverse sources.

  • The Michael Medved Show
  • BBC World Service: Global News (Site; RSS)
  • BBC World Service: Newshour (Site; RSS)
  • BBC Radio Five: Kermode and Mayo's Film Reviews (Site; RSS)
  • Guardian Unlimited: Prime Minister's Questions (Site; RSS)
  • Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting: Voice of Justice
  • Center for Strategic and International Studies: Events (Site; RSS)
  • The Heritage Foundation: Past Events (Site; RSS)
  • KCL War Studies Podcast (Site; RSS)
  • BBC World Service: Xtra (Arabic) (Site; RSS)
  • ArabicPod
  • Orkney Talking Newspaper (Site; RSS)
  • KSL: The Nightside Project (Site; RSS)
  • The Faroe Islands Podcast (Site; RSS)
  • The History Chicks (Site; RSS)
  • The Sporkful (Site; RSS)

    I'll be posting about other podcasts every now and again. You'll be amazed by some of the weird, wild stuff I'll be able to bring to your attention.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment