Wednesday 25 December 2013

A Brief Introduction to Tom

Followers of my other blogs may have a good idea about me. For everyone else, here's a bit of an introduction. I'm tempted to tell you all about myself, but I think I'll settle for giving you a few personal details now, and my posts can fill in the rest.

  • I'm in my early thirties. I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, and I've also lived in California, Virginia, the United Kingdom, and the Persian Gulf.
  • I'm a security professional by trade and training, and a historian and strategist by education. I speak excellent English, adequate Arabic, and I've forgotten most of the French and German I learned in school.
  • I love America. Lots of people travel the world and decide that America isn't that great; I've travelled the world and decided that America is even more amazing than I'd originally believed.
  • Like C.S. Lewis, I consider myself "a very ordinary layman of The Church of England".
  • I harbor unhealthy obsessions with Orkney, Oman, and Wyoming.
  • I own a first generation Kindle Fire that I'm trying to turn into my own personal Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
  • I've had a workout plan I've intended to pursue for years, and I hope that a more routine lifestyle will allow me to exercise more regularly. That would also facilitate my goal of getting Accelerated Freefall certified.
  • I love to read. I don't do near as much of it as I'd like, but I have a reading list, and a massive list of books that I own (many of which I need to unload, but that's another story). Among other things, I enjoy reading ancient literature, and I love reading stuff that's in the public domain that I can get for free on the Internet.
  • Sometimes, I wonder if I should have been a cartographer. I fell in love with maps and geography when I was a kid. Now that I'm older, I've supplemented that fascination with a couple of GPS handsets and a wealth of online resources.
  • Over the last couple of years, I haven't had occasion to do much cooking; even so, I've amassed a variety of recipes from one source or another, and I occasionally enjoy cooking.
  • I love radio. Specifically, I love shortwave radio. The state of technology being what it is today, that means that I also love podcasts.
  • I'm interested in shipping container housing, and I've done preliminary work to design my shipping container dream house.

    If any of that interests you, you'll probably enjoy what's yet to come.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment