Tuesday 26 September 2017

For the Love of Coal Fires


This is a post that could have easily appeared over at Operation Highlander, but I've been pretty consistent about posting over there lately, so I'll post it here. Something I enjoyed during my days in Orkney was a nice coal fire. The photo I've featured above, which somehow never made it on to the Operation Highlander blog, was taken during the Winter of 2013 when I was yet in Orkney. I know that coal is taboo due to environmental concerns, but it was so cool to come into Helgi's off the cold, blustery street and warm myself by the fire while enjoying a dram or a pint. In November of last year, I discovered that there's an hour-plus-long video of a coal fire (apparently filmed in Poland, not Orkney, but I'll take it), so I figured I'd share it.


As you can see from this second photo, I used the occasion of some cold nights in my since-vacated East Coast apartment to pour myself a dram or cuppa, light candles in my since-liquidated (and dearly missed) Moroccan lanterns, bundle myself into a cozy blanket, and enjoy a good book (like the Orkneyinga Saga, pictured) - or possibly a Washington Capitals game on the radio - while the coal fire burned happily on the television. Someday, I hope to have a house with an actual hearth in which Lady Jaye and I can build and enjoy a nice fire - maybe even burning a few chosen lumps of coal! Until then, I'll have to enjoy the spark and crackle of that YouTube video. Less heat, inferior ambience, but I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment