Friday 12 December 2014

Remembering the Christmas Truce

Had it not been for this item at Small Wars Journal, I probably would have missed this year's Christmas advertisement by UK grocer Sainsbury's.


Having the tail end of 2013 and much of 2014 writing a book about the Great War, I found the video particularly moving - though I'll admit to finding it odd that it was an advertisement for Sainsbury's. Of course, being the United Kingdom, it's already generated some controversy. I question whether the advertisement is really "trivializing war". In fact, I think it's actually a moving reminder of the power that our shared traditions have to bind us together, even across seemingly vast divides; and that gifts and sacrifices, even small ones, can have a powerful impact on both benefactor and recipient. In a world that's been cursed by war since literally the beginning of time, it's also a cogent reminder that our commonalities are, ultimately, more important than our differences; whether that reminder will accomplish much, I don't know, but that doesn't make it trivial. Of course, people (and particularly British people) will be able to find controversy in just about everything.

Regardless, I hope that you've enjoyed the video. That's what really matters, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment