Friday 19 December 2014

Dissecting a List About Oregon

Somebody on my Facebook feed posted an article, 23 Words That Are Interpreted Entirely Different In Oregon. Being from Oregon myself, I figured I'd share the link, and give my reaction to a few of the items.

6. Starbucks I'm not sure what they're on about. I'm fond of Starbucks, though I attribute it to having been around the world, because I like that every Starbucks is basically the same Starbucks. As for Dutch Bros., the have some good drinks, but a lot of their employees are either way too hipster and/or metrosexual for my comfort, and they don't understand how tea works. At this point, I basically just avoid Dutch Bros. altogether. So, it's popular with Oregonians, and I've enjoyed it before, but I question the whole "anti-Starbucks" thing.

8. Rogue Rogue makes some good beers. There are some other good beers, though. Widmer Bros., is great, for example. In fact, to single Rogue out of all the great breweries and, more importantly, microbreweries basically misses the point entirely.

9. Sales Tax Guilty as charged.

14. Gas Station I've lived in Oregon, and I've lived elsewhere. People who have never lived in Oregon usually phrase it as "You aren't even allowed to pump your own gas!" I correct them: "No, it's that you have to pump yours!" Full service is awesome.

16. Fruitcake I have no clue why they included this. To the best of my knowledge, this isn't a thing.

17. Timber With a few exceptions, the Portland Timbers are an entirely Portland thing. Soccermania isn't really a big thing outside of Portland.

20. Ducks "The only football team anyone in Oregon will ever root for." Um... No. I personally hate football, but my Facebook feed is proof that there are a lot of people rooting for the Oregon State University Beavers. Now, had they said "The football team with the most asinine uniforms in the NCAA"...

22. Weed Some of us aren't particularly pleased with the cannabis culture. It's not an Oregon-wide thing - mainly Portland (which has been mobbed by non-Oregonians in the last decade or so), and moreso Eugene, and maybe Bend to a lesser degree. Elsewhere, cannabis is no more or less prevalent than it is anywhere else in America.

I suspect that this list was probably written by a Portlander (or a Californian immigrant)... Who's a bit of a #16.

No comments:

Post a Comment