Sunday 2 February 2014

Topic: Shipping Container Housing

I've written previously about my efforts to design my dream home, the structural basis for which will be intermodal shipping containers.

I was first introduced to the concept of using converted shipping containers to build homes while working for the Army in California. As you can see from this view on Wikimapia, and these ground level pictures from Wikipedia (1, 2), the military uses lots of shipping containers to build villages for realistic urban warfare (MOUT) training, or for use as modular, purpose-built structures for locations where the military deploys overseas, or for various other purposes. A couple of the companies that provide these modified containers are CMOUTS and Allied Container. Other companies, like Safe Castle LLC and Atlas Survival Shelters, convert shipping containers for use as various types of emergency shelters. At least one company, Strategic Operations, provides conversion kits to alter the appearance of containers to make them more realistic for military training. Outside of military circles, there's a big Wikipedia article on shipping container architecture, and it's become a sort of darling of the environmentalist crowd due to its low cost and reuse of existing materials.

Posts on this topic will likely be sporadic, and I certainly won't be the best source on the Internet, but it's something I'm interested in and I'll be eager to share my thoughts and anything I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment