Sunday 5 February 2017

Joshua Tree Report: February 5th, 2017

This is the Joshua Tree Report for February 5th, 2017.

General Data

The temperature in Cody is 39° Fahrenheit and the weather is fair. The temperature in Kirkwall is 7° centigrade and the weather is drizzly. The temperature in Muscat is 23°; centigrade and the weather is clear. A barrel of crude oil is selling at $53.83, and $1.25 currently exchanges for £1. This week's geospatial image is the Essaouira fishin port in Morocco.

In the News

Here are a few of this week's top stories.

  • Why Trump Had to Fire Sally Yates (Politico)
  • Trump’s Executive Order on Refugees — Separating Fact from Hysteria (National Review)
  • The Real Problem with Trump’s Executive Order (Michael J. Totten)
  • Why are Islamist armed groups clashing in Syria? (al Jazeera)
  • Yemen rebels film Saudi warship attack (BBC)
  • Morocco rejoins the African Union after 33 years (al Jazeera)
  • Iran confirms missile test, denies breach of nuclear deal (AFP)
  • UK minister accuses Russia of 'weaponising misinformation' (AFP)
  • Delta Becomes Second Airline in a Week to Ground US Flights Over Computer 'Issues' (Gizmodo)
  • Halal snack pack: The kebab that defined Australia in 2016 (BBC)
  • The Story Behind This Astronaut's Viral Photo Is Even Cuter Than His Dogs (Gizmodo)

    Top Podcasts

    These were my favorite podcasts from this week.

  • Cyber Special Forces: An Interview with Dmitri Alperovitch (SpyCast)
  • Risky Business #440 -- Matt "PwnAllTheThings" Tait on the politicisation of infosec (Risky Business)
  • The first Afghan war (The National Archives)
  • Whassigo 1st February 2017 (BBC Radio Orkney)

    Course Report

    ENG 199: I read 3 chapters from Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger.
    PAC 130: Due to extenuating circumstances, PAC 130 was cancelled this week. I'm evaluating whether to cancel it for the duration of the quarter.
    BA 480: As of this posting, I've accomplished nothing.
    HST 406 (O): I expanded my master timeline of the First World War.
    REL 199: I read Zechariah 8 through 10, and I completed Symbolon Sessions 1:1 and 2:1.

    Quote of the Week
    "I hesitated - and suddenly realized that, if I didn't take a swing at it, I would wonder all my life whether I was anything but the boss's son. 'I'm going to chance it.'"
    - Robert A. Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment