Sunday 24 April 2016

Orcadian OSGEOINT Exercises

In late 2011 and early 2012, I found myself stuck in a back office in an unnamed Middle Eastern country, bored out of my skull due to a dearth of assignments, but nonetheless required to put in long days at a desk. I ended up spending some of that time acquainting myself with websites pertaining to Orkney. Based on some of those discoveries, I decided to try to combine satellite imagery with available ground photography to identify the location of the Howar Farm on North Ronaldsay. I used one descriptive line...
"Walk along North Ronaldsay's prettiest beach, Nouster Bay, to Howar farm[.] From the Pier or the Bird Observatory it's 30 minutes brisk walk along the sandy bay. Longer if you dawdle to enjoy it."
... and two photos (the headers to this page and this page) as my guides. Below is a montage combining those two images with two aerial images.


The inset, zoomed out image shows the vantage points of the two ground images using white and grey chevrons, the grey chevron being replicated on the lower image. Aside from that, the colored arrows correlate the various elements of each photo for comparison. Here are a few things to note:

  • Note the two skylights in the barn denoted by the green arrows, and the difference in height between the differently colored roofs of that building.
  • Note the skylight/vent in both images denoted by the grey arrow.
  • Note the point at which the out building denoted by the beige arrows narrows.
  • Note the greenhouse, which appears transparent from above, denoted by the purple arrows.

    I went through a similar process to identify The Ruah at the Green Farm on Eday, but they've since updated their website, so I can't take you through that process as well. All that said, it's been really great practice in open source imagery analysis.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment