Friday 22 January 2016

I Am Not Dead

I have been altogether absent from blogging for awhile. I'm going to try to remedy that.

Let's start with a bit of an update. On New Year's Eve Day, I accepted an offer to take a new job. It's a lateral move, but the money's a bit better, the company's a lot better, and the position itself is a good pivot point for future opportunities. I'm using the change as an excuse to switch a few more things up.

One thing I'm going to try to do in 2016 is cook more often. By and large, I've been able to justify a near-exclusive restaurant diet because it saved me the headache of a lot of cleanup, and it wasn't a significantly different cost compared to what it would cost me to cook something. Whereas my old office was located within a block of many fine purveyors of sustenance, my new office has a single hole-in-the-wall cafe within walking distance. So, in order to try to save money and improve the quality of my diet, I'm going to try to cook two new recipes each month.

Before I got the job offer, I had decided to focus and document my podcast listening habits in 2016 to developing marketable job skills. Initially, I was going to focus on security risk management and geographic information systems (GIS). I added two additioal categories: strategy, and the First World War. The whole thing has led me to do some sorting of my mp3 library, and I created a massive spreadsheet - initially to track the GIS stuff, then to track the security stuff, and eventually to track everything.

I didn't end up sustaining my reading goals from last year, so I'm going to attempt eight books again this year. I still need to complete The Devil's Sandbox. I'm working to finalize that list, and once I have, I'll post it - and hopefully keep better track of my progress here than I did last year.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment