Tuesday 15 September 2015

Future Reading: Faith and Philosophy


It's time for another installment of my long-term reading list. While I was living in Hampton Roads, Virginia a few years ago, I went through a phase when I was doing pretty well at reading a chapter from the Bible, a few prayers from the Book of Common Prayer, and another book on faith or philosophy. Those included Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, Confessions by St. Augustine, and - unfortunately - Gifts of the Jews by Thomas Cahill. At some point in the foreseeable future, I hope to get back into that habit.

Over the Summer, Lady Jaye (who is Catholic) and I (who, like C.S. Lewis, am Anglican) visited the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, and I walked away with a copy of C.S. Lewis and the Catholic Church by Joseph Pearce. I've started reading it, so this will probably the first one I'll read. Aside from that, I was assigned a number of books in a couple of my undergraduate history courses that focused on the relationship between science and religion. Those courses were pretty seminal for me, but I didn't have a chance to read most of the assigned textbooks, so I'd like to read the following texts at some point in the next couple of years: Christian Apologetics by Norman L. Geisler; The Galileo Connection by Charles E. Hummel; Reason in the Balance by Phillip E. Johnson; Science & its Limits by Del Ratzsch; and Science and Religion: A Historical Introduction, edited by Gary B. Ferngren. I'd also like to throw in some history, such as The Dead Sea Scrolls by Michael Wise, Martin Abegg, Jr., and Edward Cook; History of the Church by Eusebius; or Antiquities of the Jews and The Jewish Wars by Flavius Josephus. I may also include a bit more Lewis (maybe a reread of Mere Christianity, or a reading of The Great Divorce?), but that's yet to be determined.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment